Do you have a beginning reader? I am so excited to share with you an excellent new phonics program for early readers. My middle daughter is in the “beginning reading” stage, so I thought this would be perfect for her. I look forward to using this with my preschooler as well. The name of this phonics curriculum is Alpha-Phonics: A Primer for Beginning Readers by Samuel L. Blumenfeld.
This curriculum is made up of:
- Alpha-Phonics and How to Tutor Companion Workbook
- The Original Alpha-Phonics A Primer for Beginning Readers
- Alpha-Phonics CD ROM
- Apha-Phonics DVD (Explanatory Video)
The Alpha-Phonics Primer for beginning readers is “complete with teacher’s manual and lesson plan!”
Here is what the material covers:
- Alphabetic System
- Teaching the Alphabet
- Teaching the Letter Sounds
- Some Practical Suggestions
- Isolating the Letter Sounds
- English Alphabetic System
- Introducing Cursive, including Cursive Alphabet
- Prereading Alphabet Exercises
The tutor companion workbook consists of the order of lessons. Details of how to use the CD ROM program is included in the Alpha-Phonics books.
Since we are approaching the summer months, I will be taking this time to do a lot of early reading with my preschooler and my soon to be second grader. I am so excited that it teaches the alphabet and sounds and introduces cursive to those who are ready for that challenge.
Another great thing about this reading curriculum is it’s Cathy Duffy’s 1oo Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum! Awesome!