Oreo cookies aren’t just good dipped in milk. Crush and sprinkle them on a Pink Lady Apple beautifully coated with a layer of rich and smooth caramel for a perfect Halloween treat.
Type of apple: Pink Lady
To remove the wax coating from store-purchased apples, you can dip them in boiling water mixed with a splash of vinegar for a few seconds remove and dry. Allow to cool. Push the round stick into the bottom of each apple.
- 1 C stick margarine
- 2 C packed brown sugar
- 1 C light corn syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 package Oreo cookies
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour the chopped pecans in a bowl placing it next to the stove top.
- Using a double boiler, pour water into the bottom half just slightly lower than when the top pot sits in the bottom half. bring water to a boil.
- Using a double boiler, put the margarine, brown sugar, corn syrup and condensed milk int the top pot bringing the heat to a med-high. Raise the temp to a boil, constantly stirring then reduce heat to med.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees or when a teaspoon of the caramel is dropped into a glass of cold water it forms a firm ball.
- When this happens remove the pot from the heat stirring in the vanilla.
- Dip each apple into the caramel coating the apple and part of the wooden stick.
- Separate the Oreo cookies and remove the stuffing in the middle. Put the stuffing in a bowl or in the trash.
- Put the Oreo cookie pieces into a zip lock bag using a rolling pin crush the cookie pieces into a fine crumb.
- While the caramel apple is still hot sprinkle the finely crushed Oreo’s onto the apple or if you prefer roll the hot caramel apple into a plate filled with the crushed Oreo’s.